About Me

My photo
I am a 21 year old sports and fitness fanatic from Brisbane, Australia. After a rough couple of years I have descended into the depths of Awkwardness - overweight, stressed out, poor life patterns, shy and next to no self esteem. Well, I am now taking a stand and fighting for my future. And that future is belonging to the "Kingdom of Alpha" as an Alpha male. This means working on my physique, my self confidence, social skills and life direction. Follow me through this trek toward the Kingdom!

Aug 28, 2011

Nanana Spinning, Nanana Spinning

Spinning, Spinning, BATMAN...I mean spinning. Warning this may Contain Bike Related Concepts with Traces of Perfection.

Since my first long ride and subsequent breakdown I have been focusing on improving my endurance by incorporating "spinning" into my bike rides. For the Non-cyclists, spinning regards a high cadence while pedaling i.e. how many times your leg completes a pedal rotation in a minute. Spinning is usually considered between 90-100 reps per minute. To the average biker, spinning would feel foreign to them as they/we are all brought up as good "grinders" which is basically a lower cadence at a higher gear so you really have to force the pedal to rotate. Spinning allows you to push harder for longer and as your fitness improves you can crank out higher gears but at the spinning cadence. This technique is used by the pros to great effect allowing them to reach massive speeds and maintain them over long distances. Essentially the concept involves utilizing aerobic energy cycles compared to anaerobic, avoiding some of the waste products of the latter system as well as increasing removal of the waste products due to a higher heart rate.

So far this week I have been pumping away quite well at the spinning and I can definitely notice a difference in endurance particularly when climbing hills. It takes some getting used to but I definitely recommend it and for all you desperate housewife dieters it most likely burns more calories cause you can go longer and maintains a higher heart rate (although don't quote me on that). Still rocking everything really well on my journey to Alphadom. My diet has been perfect. So perfect intact I felt it safe to include some treats, in moderation of course, consisting of a serve of cashew nuts, a slice of cheese and scrambled eggs for breakfast with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, mmmmm. Usually such indulgences would trigger a landslide despite my best intentions however my mind is becoming that strong that it can dismiss any such tempting thoughts in an instant. My exercise is also going well. I hit the weights hard this week for the first time in ages and man it feels great, sore but great to be pumping iron. To take it to the next level also I have taken to getting into a stretching, icing and just taking care of my physiology in general before I go to sleep. In the past injuries have plagued and hampered my progress and I am focused to do anything to avoid such injuries as well as maintain my exercise workload to which injury prevention and recovery are essential. Man I'm good, Alpha and Out! BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments:

Post a Comment