About Me

My photo
I am a 21 year old sports and fitness fanatic from Brisbane, Australia. After a rough couple of years I have descended into the depths of Awkwardness - overweight, stressed out, poor life patterns, shy and next to no self esteem. Well, I am now taking a stand and fighting for my future. And that future is belonging to the "Kingdom of Alpha" as an Alpha male. This means working on my physique, my self confidence, social skills and life direction. Follow me through this trek toward the Kingdom!

Apr 15, 2010

Success Over Split Milk


I am going to do something different in this post and include an interview from Jack Canfield's (Creator of Chicken Soup Books) How to Get from Where You Are to Where you Want to Be: The 25 Principles of Success.


The story is about a famous research scientist who made several important medical breakthroughs. When asked about why he was so much more successful than his colleages he recounted this experiance from his childhood. He'd been trying to take a bottle of milk out of the refridgerator, when he lost his grip and spilled the entire contents on the kitchen floor. His mother, instead of scolding him, said, "What a wonderful mess you've made! I've rarely seen such a huge puddle of milk. Well, the damage is done. Would you like to get down and play in the milk before we clean it up?" Indeed he did. And after a few minutes, his mother continued," You know, whenever you make a mess like this, eventualy you have to clean it up. So how would you like to do that? We could use a towel, sponge or mop. Which would you prefer?" After they were finished cleaning up the milk, she said, "What we have here is a failed experiment in how to carry a big bottle of milk with two tiny hands. Let's go out in the backyard, fill the bottle with water, and see if you can discover a way to carry it without dropping it" And they did.


What a great lesson, imagine if more parents reacted this way what we could accomplish. This lesson was used by Jack to illustrate not to be scared of making mistakes. He repositioned mistakes as learning opportunities. Just a little story with a powerful punchline.


On the diet and exercise front, today was fairly perfect diet wise and excerise was better due to me cleaning out our storage facilities. My neck seems to be almost 100% again so I will definately be at the gym tomorrow. I have also began to develop a basic excel program to assist me in counting my calories and figuring if I am on the right track. A good day again. Alpha and Out!

1 comment:

  1. Nice story what a great way to look at the world and start my day. Your blog is showing success every where. Eating better, eating less, exercising more, burning more than consuming. Losing weight, WOW. You are well on your way to your goal. Looking forward to hearing about the gym.

    ReplyDelete